Oh yes, we’re talking about Boudoir Shoots and why everyone should do it at least once in their life. I remember Kait over at Communikait blogging about why you should book a boudoir session.
I wouldn’t say I’m an expert on boudoir photography, but I’ve had two sessions done and they were both really great experiences. When I think of boudoir, naturally, I went to Pinterest and found so many pins that were just a little bit too racy for me. And believe it or not, there are different ways to style a boudoir shoot.
I love doing boudoir sessions and keep telling all of my friends to book one!
Today, I thought I’d share some of my tips and why you should book a session!
- Do your research. You definitely want to check out that photographer’s previous work. See if you like their style and if it’s a win, go ahead and email them. Most of the time, they’ll respond and share with you how the session will typically go. To me, that’s essential because it helps you become more comfortable with the idea of knowing what it might be like going in. Having the right photographer makes all the difference.
- Shop and get all done up. It definitely calls for a day of pampering and a reason to buy something new. For both of my shoots, I did my own hair & make-up. Plus, you can never go wrong with a new piece of lingerie.
- Work your inner-Beyonce or whoever you think is fierce! I know how uncomfortable it can be to 1. be in front of a camera, if you don’t like it already 2. be in front of a camera with not much on. Definitely own that shoot, build yourself up because you are beautiful. Show it and love yourself. You got this!
- Simply enjoy it. I was a tomboy most of my life, I didn’t dabble with hair and make-up until my last year of college. It eventually became something I loved trying out and when the occasion calls for it, you can bet I’ll be doing the works to look fabulous. It took quite some time, but I can actually say that I’m completely comfortable in my own skin. And boudoir shoots or any shoot ,in general, is what I like to call, “my moment”. It’s about me and how your photographer captures that essence of you.
WHY SHOULD YOU BOOK A SESH?
- They make perfect gifts. My first session was before our wedding, it came with our wedding package. I saved the pics and put them together and gifted them to my husband as a homecoming present.
- Create beautiful memories. I remember every moment of both of my shoots. How I felt and my interactions with my photographer. During the shoot, it’s like you gain a friend. And it’s always wonderful to receive compliments, take ’em and own ’em. The shoot is all about you.
- They’re fun. I don’t know about you, but it can be so much fun to be in front of a camera.
My first session was with Natalie Franke, she also did our engagement and wedding photos. She’s such a skilled photographer and I love what she can do with natural light. My boudoir shoot with her was the day before my wedding and it stayed at this unique hotel. There are only 27 rooms at this hotel and each had a vintage theme to it. And we definitely worked that to our advantage during my shoot. My about me pic in the sidebar is actually from that session.
The second session was a completely unique and memorable experience and it was all outdoor! Yep, you heard me right and if you follow me on Instagram, I posted a few from that shoot. Hailey Faria was my top choice for this session and I’ll never regret it. A absolutely loved how it all turned out.
I was a bit hesitant about sharing these (for obvious reasons), but they’re absolutely beautiful. I had the chance to do a shoot with @haileyfaria and it was seriously one of my most memorable experiences. Being out in one of my favorite places, hiking trails, and just feeling beautiful. Of course, it was a little nerve-wrecking coming across strangers, but hey, you’ll probably never see them again anyways. I know a lot of us out there have our insecurities, but you just have to own up to it and embrace it! ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ Beautifully Poised
A photo posted by WANDERING MALIA ? (@wanderingmalia) on
I know it can be daunting, but I promise, it’s all worth it in the end. If you any questions about either of the shoots that I’ve done, feel free to ask!